16 January 2012

Cooking: Butter Chicken

Well the first day of the school came and went and I think I survived. It was odd being in a new group, being the one they all look at and wonder why this person is messing up their seating. Preventing people from sitting with their besties.

I also need to remember to sit closer to the board so I can actually see and not get migraines :P

So we had my youngest brother over this weekend but I ended up getting a little sick so I couldn't go see Sherlock Holmes. Marc has been wondering if I have a problem with eggs. I don't know if you can actually have a problem with eggs but I guess anything is possible. Before he came he requested that we make him Butter Chicken. We made it for him maybe a year ago and I guess he missed it! We packaged some up so he can have some at home :)

If you're on a diet then please get off said diet for the night and enjoy this meal. Butter chicken is so good, it can be spicy or mild. Totally up to you. We like it a little spicy :).

This is the recipe we use and it is so good. I wont post the list of ingredients because you can just go check her blog out but when we make it we double everything so we can freeze it and have leftovers. I would say it is much better fresh but it's not bad as a leftover and it really fills you up.

 First Marc cuts the fat off the chicken and then he dices it.
 We add the yogurt and other spices and mix it up and then let it sit in the fridge for a few hours. That is a personal choice though, we usually want to get the chicken out of the way and then do other things before we actually cook it.
 All mixed up!








Once we begin the actual process of cooking I get all the ghee and spices ready in separate pots, then Marc cuts up the onions and I add the ginger and garlic paste. We measure the tomato sauce and then cook the chicken.
 Some of the onions
 All the onions with the garlic and ginger paste


Here is the Kasoori Methi (dried Fenugreek), Garam Masala (a bunch of different spices roasted and then ground up) and Kashmiri Mirch (chili powder but gives the curry a bright red colour). We actually add extra Kashmiri Mirch to spice up the curry more.
 The Ghee. Ghee is very fattening but really, it's Butter Chicken ENJOY!
Basic tomato sauce. Nothing special here.
And here we have the chicken pieces cooking in the ghee.








Once the chicken is cooked we pour it and everything in the pan into a pot and put aside. We then start cooking the onions in the rest of the ghee, add the spice mix and the let simmer for awhile. The smell is amazing!
 Onions cooking
 Here is the onions and spices, the aroma that comes once you mix up the spices in the pan is mouth watering.
 The tomato sauce and onions with spice is then added to the pot with the chicken.









When we want to eat we add cream to the sauce and let it simmer for another five minutes. We but the Butter Chicken on Couscous because I have a hard time with rice.

You really need to make this recipe. It's so easy to follow and so worth the day off the diet. But really you don't need a diet!

No comments:

Post a Comment