19 February 2012

Cooking: Spaghetti Sauce

About once every 2 months I like to make a huge batch of spaghetti sauce. I used to make about a double batch, but since returning to school I figured I'd quadruple the batch so I can freeze the sauce and have easy dinners on the days I just don't feel like cooking.

When I moved to Montreal from the boonies I missed my moms spaghetti sauce, I used to grab whatever jars she had left and hoard it in my apartment. I figured that I should start to make my own though and after about a year of trying different sauces and combinations I finally came up with my own :)

Britney's Spaghetti Sauce (this makes a large batch)


4 Large carrots diced
4 celery sticks diced
2 medium onions diced
3-4 tablespoons of olive oil
1 1/2 bulbs of garlic
4 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
2 lbs ground pork
4 28 ounce cans of crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup red wine


Spices to add to your taste


Ground Savory
Pepper
Crushed Chili Flakes
Oregano Leaves
Bay Leaves
Basil Leaves
Italian Seasoning




Instructions:

The diced carrots, celery and onions go into a large pot with the olive oil. I cook them on medium/high heat for about 10 minutes or until the carrots are soft.






 The garlic and Italian seasoning go into the pot and I stir them in for about 20 seconds.
I then add the ground pork and stir it in until it's all broken up.








 Once the pork is cooked I add all 4 of the tomato cans and stir. I turn the heat down to low.
 The spices get added to your taste. I keep adding as the sauce cooks until it's to my liking. I tend to add more savory and Italian seasoning than the rest. Also we like our sauce spicy so we add a lot of crushed chilies.
 Once the spices are in, I mix in the red wine. I cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
And here is the finished sauce. Almost all of this will be bagged up and put in the freezer!

No comments:

Post a Comment