04 September 2011

Cooking: Cauliflower Curry

When I saw the recipe for this curry I wasn't too sure about it. I love curry but I have always been nervous with vegetarian curry. I have never tried one before but I figured it was about time so this was the recipe I used.

Total time about 40min (preparation and cooking together).
I did not like it at all. Maybe adding the tomatoes wasn't the best plan but I'm now having pesto on pasta for dinner. Marc likes it though. He added more coconut milk, hot sauce and some garam masala. He said he's going to be eating it for lunch. It will make almost a weeks worth of lunch so that's a pretty good size recipe.

I cut up the potatoes (I used 6 because I only had small ones and it called for 3 medium potatoes) and the cauliflower.











Marc cut up the onions for me (I always end up cutting a finger when I cut onions so I stay away from them). I added the garlic (4 cloves, we like garlic), cumin and ginger. For the ginger we used ginger paste because we don't go through a lot of ginger (I can't just eat ginger as it tastes like soap to me, apparently a mutation I have). We used a small tablespoon of the ginger paste.










I then fried up the onions in some ghee, instead of oil, and added the garlic, ginger and spice.









The onions take about 10 minutes to cook. Once they were ready we put the rest of the spices in, along with the cauliflower, potatoes, the rest of the spices, chick peas and tomatoes and we used coconut milk instead of water.




















Marc simmered the curry for about 10-15 minutes on low heat.

I am willing to try making a vegetarian curry again but I don't know what recipe to use, if you know of any good recipes send them over I would love to try it.

2 comments:

  1. I used this recipe that mom my sent me a little while back and i loved it! Vegetarian curries are one of my go-to easy week-night foods.

    http://view.mail.macmillan.com/?j=fe6e16767464027d7714&m=feee1c737d6c02&ls=fded1c797164017f7c157770&l=fe6315757767027e7d14&s=fe3015757267077e7d1570&jb=ffcf14&ju=fe31177075610d7f751778&r=0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nick, that actually sounds really good. I might omit the tomatoes though, I shouldn't eat tomatoes anyways because they make me really sick :P

    ReplyDelete